“A state of emergency is a governmental declaration that may suspend certain normal functions of government, alert citizens to alter their normal behaviors, or order government agencies to implement emergency preparedness plans.” — Wikipedia
* * * * *
Informed by the work of the world’s most eminent climate authority, NASA‘s Dr. James Hansen, the essential book Climate Code Red by Australia’s David Spratt and Philip Sutton warns that only emergency international action far beyond business and politics as usual has any hope of concurrently halting man made greenhouse gas emissions, removing excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere AND actively cooling the Earth to the extent necessary — and within the rapidly closing window of opportunity available — to prevent potentially irreversible global catastrophe.
Alarmed by recent observations that suggest key arctic and methane release tipping points may have already been passed, and disturbed by the reality that no major environmental organization has dared to advocate for radical, systemic global economic and political reform…
ecoSanity.org announces an initiative rooted in scientific, economic, political, environmental and social honesty — the ecoSanity.org CLIMATE EMERGENCY CAMPAIGN — an ambitious, necessary and urgent effort to:
1) Expose the true extent of diluted, mainstream misinformation about ‘global warming‘ (more accurately, global heating, global climate destabilization, global weather extreming, global mass extinction, global ecocide) and re-frame it as the clear, present, unprecedented and accelerating threat that it is to the survival of all people and most species within the lifetimes of today’s children.
2) Advocate for an official international declaration of a state of global climate emergency to make possible the implementation of a rapid cultural transformation on a scale unlike anything humanity has ever faced before because millions are suffering and dying from a multitude of climate change related causes RIGHT NOW. Species are going extinct at a rate of 50,000 per year and, with 50% of all greenhouse gasses contributed by only 13% of the world’s total population, the way we (rich nations) have CHOSEN to live, KILLS the people of the poorest, undeveloped nations – those least responsible for the problem and least able to combat our shameful, negligent, on-going releases of global heating emissions. It is long past time to begin to attempt to atone for the crisis’ we have caused and knowingly continue to exacerbate.
3) Advocate for the rapid, systemic re-conception of our global political and economic processes toward just, equitable, post-partisan, post-carbon and post-rapacious, pathological consumerism incarnations that, unlike their current forms, can accommodate the sweeping action necessary to attempt to ensure our survival.
4) Work to help engage, empower and inspire an emergency international mass- mobilization to confront, mitigate, adapt to and, via a wide range and multitude of potential possibilities, reverse the devastating impacts, losses and social injustices that have both already been caused, and have yet to be unleashed, by the climate crisis.
5) Work to help influence participants of the Poznań (Poland, Dec. 2008) and Copenhagen (Denmark, Dec. 2009) U.N. Climate Change Conferences by encouraging aggressive, scientifically up-to-date, solution-and-survival-based emergency responses. We must not allow regression to the out-dated, terminally flawed, mass-suicidal underestimations of the political and policy-driven agendas that dictated the 2007 IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) conclusions on which the richest, most powerful, most morally culpable governments of the world have wrongly based their uniformly inadequate targets and inaction.
ECOSANITY.ORG’S CLIMATE EMERGENCY CAMPAIGN WILL:
- Highlight the importance of the United Nations Climate Conference in Poznań, Poland and advocate for EMERGENCY ACTION
- Unveil unignorable climate emergency visuals during our volunteer mobilization and participation in the Global Rally to Stop Global Warming (the Toronto installment of the Global Day of Action against Climate Change) on Sunday, Dec. 7th
- Stage a lead-up fundraiser for our Climate Emergency Campaign that will also help promote the Global Rally Event in Toronto
- Initiate a two-week Holiday Outreach Campaign to follow the Day of Action with our climate emergency message at its core
- Post video(s), blogs and endeavor to inform and involve as many people as possible as soon as possible
- Add activist materials like banner designs and more for download
- Evolve what is also the beginning of our ecoSane Responses initiative that will compile and summarize only the most essential, actual science, solution and survival-based international proposals
- Follow up and expand upon all of the above between now and the December 2009 U.N. Climate Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for reading about, and supporting, our latest campaign.
* * * * *
NASA’S JAMES HANSEN WARNS CONGRESS OF “PLANETARY EMERGENCY”
NASA’s James Hansen, the first leading scientist to warn of the dangers of global warming before a U.S. Congressional committee 20 years ago, recently returned to warn that the Earth’s climate is nearing dangerous tipping points, to call for a national carbon tax and to declare that the CEO’s of energy companies should be tried for crimes against humanity and nature.
“We have reached a point of planetary emergency…”, he said. “…climate is nearing dangerous tipping points. Elements of a perfect storm, a global cataclysm, are assembled…”. “…the oft- stated goal to keep global warming less than +2 C (+3.6 Fahrenheit) is a recipe for global disaster, not salvation.”
GORE: 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY IN AMERICA WITHIN 10 YEARS
Al Gore’s concern that America’s “dangerous over-reliance on carbon-based fuel” is at the core if its economic, environmental and national security problems recently compelled him to call for an urgent transition to 100% green energy in America within 10 years.
MASS EXTINCTIONS Over the last 35 years, Species populations have declined an average of 27% (an extinction rate of 1% of all species per year – up to 10,000 x higher than the natural or ‘background’ rate!). With the rapidly accelerating impacts of global heating, there will be at least another 27% decline in far less time.
And in the new book, Climate Code Red: The Case For Emergency Action, Authors David Spratt and Philip Sutton argue that, in order to return to a ’safe climate’, not only must we reduce carbon emissions 100% as quickly as possible by declaring an urgent global state of emergency in order to get beyond the suicidal denial of ‘business as usual’ (Read: The Perils Of Playing Nice), we must also figure out a way to remove excess carbon from the atmosphere.
- CCR: Co-Author David Spratt, Part 1 of 3 (Videos – Also watch Part 3)
- CCR: The Perils of Playing Nice (Excerpt)
- CCR: blogeye (CCR Excerpts, Parts 1-5)
- CCR: The Book
* * * * *
- Climate Code Red: The Case For Emergency Action
- Lester Brown: Plan 3.0
- Elizabeth May’s Recount of Bali Climate Conference (Video)
- ecoSanity.org Founder’s Imperative (Includes Videos)
U.N. CLIMATE CONFERENCES
- UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change)
- Bali, Indonesia, Dec. 2007
- Poznań, Poland, Dec. 2008
- Copenhagen, Denmark, Dec. 2009
* * * * *
climateye’s most essential info